Best Law School Student Resume Sample
Creative yet simple. Law student resume format requires extra attention. No over-dramatization is acceptable. Here are some best Law School Student Resume Samples.
Tips for Writing a Resume for Entry Level Lawyer
Concise and conservative resumes are essential while submitting applications for entry-level attorney positions. They should be far more unique and elegant than any other professional resumes.
In other career fields where recruiters often use applicant tracking systems, one may load a resume with keyword phrases. However, in law firms resumes that are verbose, repetitive or provide too much non-related personal information are not appreciated.
Follow the below mentioned tips and expert advice on writing law student resume.
Precision is the Best
Always remember the golden rule-Less is more. A graduating law student must stick to a single-page resume. Typically the standard remains the same even for experienced lawyers.
While writing law student resume with no legal experience, one must remember that attorneys read critically. They are accustomed to pinpoint and challenge ambiguous or superfluous details.
Therefore, never open yourself up to immediate criticism. Moreover, adding irrelevant information invites criticism. For instance- descriptions of non-legal jobs you have held, things achieved as an undergraduate are irrelevant.
Avoid too much personal information
Best law student resume does not provide too much personal information. Owing to the conservatism of their profession, attorneys must be objective and low-profile. Just like public school teachers, lawyers must avoid controversial associations at all costs.
Therefore, dodge the urge to provide links on your resume to a personal blog or social media pages. However, LinkedIn can be included.
Furthermore, there is no need to offer personal details like your gender preferences, political leanings, or religious beliefs. So, include only relevant things.
Sections on A Lawyer’s Resume
Following are some compulsory sections-
- Resume Summary/ law student resume objective
- Education Section
- Internship Experience/Volunteer Experience
- Skills Section
In addition to these, it is a good idea to add an “Other Interests and Activities” section at the end of your resume. This demonstrates that you are a well-rounded and versatile individual.
However, these “interests” need to be those that contribute directly to your being an outshining lawyer. Do not add activities like extensive political activism or travel. These appear distractive for you from your work obligations at a law firm.
Since your is a law school student resume for internship or you are an entry-level lawyer, pay special attention to volunteer experiences. This is the main key section on your resume after education Section.
Formatting Your Resume
This is worth considering. A resume with all the necessary info when not formatted ideally loses its chance of selection.
- Firstly, use a conservative font. Good fonts to use for your resume include-
- Times New Roman,
- Courier New, or
- Avoid running sentences. Err on the side of conservatism here. Write in complete sentences. Avoid comma splices.
- Meticulously proofread the text. Check out for spelling and grammatical errors.
For more detailed Formatting, Click Here-How to Prepare Resume Format for Undergraduates?
Adding a Cover Letter
Adding a cover letter is beneficial for beginners. However, read the below-mentioned tips to write it perfectly.
Tips To write a Cover Letter
- Make use of a narrative-only format for your cover letter.
- Other professional cover letters often include a bulleted section. Law firms, however, ask for narrative text in cover letters.
- This gives them a better idea of a candidate’s communicative and writing skills.
- Do not restate your resume.
Law School Student Resume Example
Check out the following example of a Law School Student Resume. Notice how the student’s academic accomplishments, as well as his professional achievements, are listed. The job seeker has also mentioned some personal interests. These might help him stand out to a law firm. Furthermore, knowledge of Spanish and debate awards add to the spark.
You can also download the law school student resume template. It is compatible with Google Docs and MS Word.
15/54, Main Square, Albany, NY • (123) 456-7891 • email@example.com
Law school Graduate seeking a role in ABC Ltd that would enhance my legal prowess and provide hands-on experience. Dedicated individual with exceptional time management skills looking to apply knowledge of laws, legal codes, and court proceedings to an attorney position.
- Secured the first position in State Police Debate State Champion Thrice (2016,17, 18).
- National Tournament Qualifier, State Police Debate (2016,17, 18).
- Outstanding Performance in Oral Advocacy Competition, 2017
United State COURT OF APPEALS, San Francisco.
Extern to Honorable Judge Rodriguez, January 2019-March 2019
Externship mainly comprised of researching and writing bench memos.
- Effectively drafted opinions and orders.
ABC Firm, Albany, NY
Summer Associate, August 2019-November 2019
Worked extensively on criminal defense, commercial, and pro bono matters.
- Assisted with pro bono constitutional standards.
- Conducted study for conditions of confinement research.
- Assisted with arbitration over fiduciary duties and non-compete agreement, limited liability company dispute.
Community Legal Centre, 2017-2019
- Assisted in legal advice, non-legal support, duty lawyer services, and casework.
Juris Doctor (2019); GPA 3.7
ABC University of Law, Los Angles, California
Dean’s List, Fall 2017, Spring 2018
Bachelor of Arts Honors in American Government (2016); GPA 3.9
XYZ University, Los Angeles, California
Free Download Resume Samples for Law Students
So, follow these tips and expert advice and create a perfect resume. Do comment your queries in the comment section to get best suggestions and solutions.
We wish you all the best for your Job!