Professional Curriculum Vitae Templates
Often the term curriculum vitae leaves us confused. Now, what exactly is this Curriculum vitae? Is it another name for a resume? How do I write a CV? These questions arise in almost every beginner’s mind. Here is all that one needs to know about CV writing. Also, you can download Curriculum Vitae Templates and samples that suit your profession. So, scroll down and you will end up creating a perfect CV that can win any job.
What Is a Curriculum Vitae (CV)? How is A Resume Different from a CV?
Curriculum vitae meaning – A Curriculum Vitae or is a professional document which offers the recruiter an overview of your Professional as well as Educational history used for job application.
One can consider it a marketing document because the main purpose is to sell you to a prospective employer. The best way is to state how your previous achievements and skills acquired will bring value and solve the company’s current challenges.
|Resume||Curriculum Vitae (CV)|
|A resume layout is concise and selective.||A CV is elaborate and outlines the entire educational as well as professional history, in addition to major accomplishments and credentials.|
|A resume is one paged document. In exceptional cases, it can be 2 pages.||A CV is always more than 2 pages in length.|
|Generally, a resume is used when applying for jobs in the private sector.||A CV is used when applying for jobs in the public sector.|
What is important in a CV?
- Contact details: a phone number and a professional email address. Never include cheesy emails like- email@example.com.
- Professional Title: For experienced professionals, it will be the same as the job opening title.
- Summary: Here you highlight your most important achievements and skills.
- Professional Experience: In this section, a complete list of your relevant work experience is stated in reverse chronological order.
- Achievements: Usually under every position you held, it is important to include your achievements rather than simply your roles and tasks there.
- Skills: Incorporate the skills that are relevant to the job you are applying for. Also, differentiate the soft skills, hard skills, and Technological Skills.
- Some Extra optional sections: these can be Personal Projects, Certifications, Conference and Courses, Publications, Extracurriculars, Volunteer Experience, etc. However, include them only if they are relevant to the company or job you are applying for.
- Publications and Presentations: Mention any publications that you have written, co-written, or contributed to. Also, include the necessary bibliographic information. Furthermore, you can also include any pieces you are presently working on.
- Professional Memberships: State any professional associations to which you are connected. Furthermore, if you are a board member of any association, then mention your title.
- Extracurricular Activities: Include volunteer experience or service work that you have done in the past. Also, any clubs or organizations to which you have belonged can be included.
What should be the length of a CV?
- The ideal length for a CV is 1 page when you possess under 5 years of work experience.
- However, if your work experience is above 5 years, your CV can be of 2-3 pages.
- Most importantly, no matter what the length of your CV is, it should be tailored. In other words, you must add only relevant information and ensure that it is set to meet the requirements of the specific job opening.
This conclusion was attained after extensive research with employers from various industries.
What Is the Best CV Format? How to write a CV
A good curriculum vitae format will incorporate your Relevant Work Experience, Skills (+Technical Skills, Hard or Soft Skills, depending on the job), Education (when relevant for the position you are applying for), Languages, and Personal Projects or Volunteer Experience.
There is no “Best” CV format in particular. Each recruiter or employer has his/her own unique preferences. However, the general principles and guidelines of the recruiters prefer have been used to design the following Curriculum Vitae samples.
Writing a Curriculum Vitae is not an easy endeavour. This is true especially if this is your first time writing one. Therefore, we have made things easy for you. By choosing one of the below given pre-designed Curriculum vitae models, you will not have to worry about the formatting font size, alignments, sections to include.
To improve on the written part of your CV, have look at professional Tips & Examples that our team has carefully prepared together with recruiters. This will ensure that your CV will be read and properly understood.
International Curriculum Vitae
In the US, CVs are used primarily when applying for academic education, medical, scientific or research positions. Also, when applying for fellowships or grants, individuals for international jobs require to submit “CVs” for almost any type of job they apply for.
In the Middle East, Europe, Africa, or Asia, recruiters may expect to receive a “curriculum vitae” rather than a resume. However, an international “CV” is in fact structured and formatted much more like a resume than they are in an academic US CV.
The key difference between a US resume and an international CV is that recruiter or employers in other countries require much more personal information than that provided on a resume in the US. Moreover, these details vary by country. This can include one’s date of birth, marital status, nationality, and the number of children.
Download CV Curriculum Vitae Templates PDF and CV Samples
We have carefully designed these CV templates. They are also available in a PDF format. Using a pdf has its own perks. It is better across different devices and is more secure. You may like to use a template to structure your Curriculum Vitae or resume. This gives your document a clear organization that helps the employer quickly see your experience and qualifications.
You can also use the CV samples as an inspiration. However, make sure to personalize each one for a specific job application.
You must carefully research the job or industry you are applying for. Take a look at the company’s culture in order to find out what formatting colors and infographic styles you should use.
This is a sample CV for a University professor. Check out the various sections and details.
So, download your CV and customize it. Do not forget to proofread your CV over and over. You may take help from a friend or colleague. Ask them to read out your CV and scan for flaws. We lay special emphasis on proofreading because grammatical errors and typos are simply intolerable by professional recruiters.
Do share your thoughts and suggestions in the comment section below. We look forward eagerly to your replies and comments.