A curriculum vitae (CV) is an alternative for a resume. Several industries (such as academia, research, education, and international companies) may prefer CVs to resumes. One must note that whenever a CV is required, the hiring manager will mention so in the job listing. Here we have for you some best CV Templates that you can download for free.
A curriculum Vitae is normally longer than resumes. It is at least two or three pages. There are a number of differences. Therefore, one must not think of resume and CV to be synonyms of one another.
- CVs include more detailed information on your academic background and achievements. Moreover, it states research, awards, publications, and teaching experience.
- It is usually preferred in scientific fields.
When you find yourself clueless about how to format a curriculum vitae or you plan to revise your current CV. There are two options:
- You can download the CV templates compatible with Google Docs and Word. Customize it by inserting your own information into the relevant categories.
- Or, several Microsoft curriculum vitae templates are free for MS Word users. Review them as they give an idea on how to format and what information to include on your CV.
Significance of using a CV Template
No matter if you are writing your first curriculum vitae or revising a current one, a template can be very helpful.
- For instance, a template shows you how to lay out your CV.
- Moreover, it tells you what sections to include.
- Also, you get an idea of how to organize these sections.
- Templates help you with the style of your CV. Furthermore, you can review the font and font size, spacing between each section.
- Templates also show you what information to put in each section.
- You can easily get an idea of what kind of language to use.
Images For Curriculum Vitae Format Download
Check out CV template word free download
Modern CV Templates Word Free Download
Here are some modern cv templates that you can download for free.
Curriculum Vitae CV Templates for Word
For MS Word Users, you can follow these steps to access word Templates on your computer:
- Open Microsoft Word, Click on “File” option.
- Then click on “New.”
- Now, type “CV” into the search bar.
- Or you can select “Resumes and Cover Letters” from suggested searches.
- A number of templates will appear. Now, select the template you want to use.
- Click on the “create” option to download the template.
- Finally, a Word document with that template will open up.
- Customize it and add your detail.
- Do not forget to rename the file with your name.
To access the MS Word CV templates online:
- Visit Office Templates & Themes.
- Then click on the “Resumes and Cover Letters” section. A number of templates will open. This section has CV templates as well.
- Click on the document of your Interest.
- Click the “Download” button. Follow the instructions to download the CV template to your computer.
- Now, click on “Edit in Browser” to edit the template in Word Online.
- Note- You must have a Microsoft account to use Word Online to create, edit, and share Word documents.
Guidelines for Using a CV Templates
Once you have downloaded or browsed a curriculum vitae template file, type over the text in the document to create your own personalized CV. Firstly, as we have stated above, check out CV templates and samples.
Follow the below mentioned steps to create a personalized and polished CV:
- Your goal must be to create a CV unique to you and the job.
- CVs may include a number of sections that resumes typically do not. These can be a teaching experience, research, fellowships, publications, and the like. So, initially, decide on what all sections you need to include in your CV. This is based on the job you are applying for. While using a template, decide on what all sections you can remove.
- Always remember to customize your CV. Add your experience for each job application. Never miss out the keywords from the job posting to match your qualifications to their requirement. This will ensure that your CV will get the hiring committee’s attention.
Also check out- Get 20+ Resume Objective Examples
Some Dos and Don’ts For CV Writing
- Keep it short, concise and to the point. Although CVs are usually longer than the typical resume, they should also be as succinct as possible.
- Must keep your CV laser-focused on the job you are applying for. Drop out anything that is unrelated. However, if it strengthens your candidacy in some way you can add it.
- Tell the truth. Whenever you’re writing a resume or a CV, you must be honest about your experience and skills. Otherwise, you run the risk of being found out. This may result in you dropping from contention for the role.
- Proofread your CV thoroughly. Check out for typos in your CV before sending it to an employer. Ensure that you have replaced all the information from the template with your personalized information. Look for any spelling errors or inconsistencies in the format. Ask a family member, or colleague to read through your CV as well
- At times it may be tempting to adopt the longer format to highlight more of your qualifications, experience, and skills but beware: recruiters still have limited time to review your application.
- Never send the template named file. Always give it a unique file name. Save it with your first and last name as the file name.
- Do not be over creative in selecting layout unless you are in a designing field. For instance, a graphic designer or a artist can have an artistic resume format but a lawyer should never adopt one.
So, include these expert pieces of advice in your CV Writing. Make use of our modern CV templates to give a professional look to your Curriculum Vitae. We wish you luck for your job application.
Feel free to ask queries and advice from our experts. Comment below in the comment section.